Bangor High Student Receives Recognition Award

The Award comes with a cash prize and nomination for student of the year.

Sam Conner Self, pictured, is a Bangor High Senior.

Grace Bennett, Reporter

BANGOR–On March 4, the Foreign Language Association of Maine, otherwise known as FLAME, announced Bangor Senior, Sam Connor Self, to be the winner of the FLAME Student Recognition Award.

The award is given to a Maine student who has studied at least one language for four years and who has a record of outstanding scholarship and of service to their school. Only one student is eligible for the title of Student of the Year and for the monetary gift of $200. The prize will be bestowed by a school official at graduation.

“Honestly, I love studying languages,” states Sam Conner Self. “I do it because it stretches me.”

Conner Self was nominated by Spanish teacher Graciela Dorsa, and several other teachers in the language department, along with many teachers that have worked with him within clubs and organizations.

“I was so honored to even be considered for the nomination that I didn’t even consider how I would feel if I received it,” Conner Self continues. “Now, I am still honored that I received it. There are a lot of hard working students in Maine, and the fact that FLAME chose to recognize me really means a lot.”

FLAME is a non-profit with the goal to promote and improve foreign language education and the study of foreign culture.