Veterans Day Parade Held After Two-Year Break

First Bangor-Brewer parade in years unites Bangor residents to honor service members

The+BHS+JROTC+marches+in+the+Veterans+Day+Parade.+

The BHS JROTC marches in the Veterans Day Parade.

Luke Dusablon, Staff Reporter

BANGOR—Music from bands, cheering from crowds, and the sounds of marching filled the streets of downtown Bangor last Thursday as the city held its first Veterans Day Parade in two years. The parade, which had been put on hold since 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, was approved by the city, and the Ram Battalion staff cadets went to work on organizing the parade as soon as school started back up. 

Veterans spanning from World War II to the Global War on Terrorism came out to march. Other high school JROTC battalions joining Bangor were the Hermon High School Hawk Battalion, the Nokomis Regional High School Warrior Battalion, Old Town High School’s Coyote Battalion, and Brewer High School’s Air Force JROTC program. 

A short ceremony in West Market Square paid tribute to the nation’s service members, beginning with remarks from the Ram Battalion Commander, as well as Rick Fournier, the newly-elected Chairman of the Bangor City Council. The ceremony led up to a 21-gun salute from the Ram Battalion Honor Guard, commanded by Cadet Major Kathryn Leicht.

“People came out and recognized all of us, including those who have served. Being able to see children smiling at the veterans and people cheering for them made me think to myself and say, ‘This is the reason I choose to serve,’” says Cadet Lieutenant Colonel Melissa Brown, the Ram Battalion Commander and a BHS senior. Brown is currently enlisted in the Maine Army National Guard as an 88M Motor Transport Operator, and she will be headed to basic combat training this summer after graduation.

“Bangor is a great community for veterans, so it is an amazing feeling being able to see the smiles on peoples faces. It was an emotional day for all of us, as the parade is a huge accomplishment for our Battalion.”