Bangor High School Shaking Up Scheduling System

The Semester Block Schedule’s days are numbered.

Colby Leavitt, Reporter, Editor

BANGOR–Bangor High has officially elected to change from its four-by-four block schedule to a modified module schedule for the 2022-2023 school year.

The four by four schedule—although very effective for limiting contact between students as a precaution against the COVID-19 pandemic—has raised many concerns among teachers and students over the past two years. This led the school to begin the difficult process of finding a better schedule format, which ultimately resulted in the decision to use a modified version of the old module schedule.

The modified module schedule will be similar to the 16 mod schedule used by the high school before the pandemic, but with a few significant changes. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, students would go to all eight of their classes for forty minutes; but on Tuesdays, students would go to their first four classes for 80 minutes each. Thursdays would be the same schedule as Tuesdays, but for the second four classes. The schedule will also include meetings times for Advisory, twice a week.

School administrators settled on the new format after many months of debate. A committee of teachers and department heads facilitated by Department Head of Guidance Dr. Leach worked to determine the best format for both teachers and students, ultimately resulting in two leading candidates: the modified mod schedule and A-day B-day schedule (where each day consists of four eighty-minute blocks. On “A” days, students would have one set of four classes, with a different set of four classes on “B” days. Each week would alternate, in the format of “ABABA” or “BABAB”. Hampden Academy is known to use this format).

During their discussions, faculty from all subject areas made strong arguments for both formats, split nearly 50/50 between the two. According to Mr. Butler, the principal, “Some content areas felt it was critically important to see kids every day, and others felt seeing kids for longer periods of time would work best with their content.”

This poll has ended.

Are you in favor of the new schedule?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.