Masks Now Optional For Bangor Schools

Almost two years to the day of school closures, masks in schools will now become voluntary.

Students and faculty will now have the option to mask once the new rule goes into effect this week.

Adrianna Faulkner, Reporter

BANGOR–Mr. Tager, Superintendent of the Bangor School Department, has just announced that “The Bangor School Department will move to a mask optional policy beginning March 9, 2022.” Tager also stated that contact tracing is no longer required and that “we will not have to quarantine individuals from school if they are a close contact.”

The superintendent also expanded on the quarantine requirements saying, “Anyone who tests positive will continue to be quarantined for a five-day period and wear a mask for five days after returning to school.” And, though masks have now become optional, Tager says that there are still people who are at high risk for getting COVID-19, and he encourages these people to continue wearing masks. Pooled testing will also continue, and he encourages those who are interested in the program to sign up. He also urges anyone who has symptoms to continue to stay home.

The focus on the health and safety of students remains a top priority for the Bangor School Department. “Health and safety will continue to be our main objective as we continue to address the effects on our students’ social/emotional wellness and their learning.”

If you would like to read Tager’s original letter to the “Bangor School Department Community,” you can find it here.